Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fourteen Months

Dear Autumn,

This past month has just flown by. It really seems like a blur. You did see your cousins, Jacob and Sophia for the second time. You really enjoyed running around with them and being a little kid. When we were putting you in the car to go home you were sweaty, sticky and dirty and your Momma sort of fell in love with you all over again. All of a sudden you were a Little Girl, and not a baby or a toddler. You kept up with the older kids, held your own, and charmed the adults. There are many moments when the Little Girl appears and I can see into the future as to how I think you might act in a few years. Then there are times when you are all toddler. Getting into everything that you know you shouldn't. And I know you know because when you see me looking at you you immediately shake your head "no". After months of leaving the cat food alone and pointing to it and shaking your head "no" you have suddenly become unable to resist those little nuggets (or worse yet, Phoebe's plate of moist cat food). Most of the time you bring the piece to me, but sometimes I'll catch you picking one up and I shout, "Autumn, NO!". If I catch you off guard you throw the piece down and shake your head. But sometimes there is a stubborn streak in you and you will start to walk away with the piece in hand, usually still shaking your head. I know you know, but you do it anyway.

You have at least 2 more teeth, bringing your total to 10. The two new ones are on the top, and there are spaces skipped on each side. I can see at least 4 new places that look like bumps are starting to rise. The two new teeth came in when you were sick with lots and lots and lots of snot. The sickness lasted on and off for about 3 weeks. It would go away and then come back with a vengeance. We missed our playgroup and a gym class.

We managed to get rid of the bottle right at the end of February. We realized that you were having some bowel issues only having one bottle of formula at night. We'd bathe you, put you in your nighttime diaper, get your pajamas on, give you a formula bottle and then you'd POOP! Thereby undoing all our relaxing bedtime routine. So one day we just gave you another cup of milk at bedtime and that was it! You now drink 4 6oz cups of milk a day, sometimes 5, but that is rare. You still call it "bach" and when you notice the cup of milk you say, "bach! bach! bach!" all the while pointing frantically. You say "chee" if you want a crunchie, which is different from "cheeeeze" for cheese. You have a word for cracker (craw-kerr) and cookie (cook-cook) which is also the same for Cookie Monster on your diaper.

You now bark like a dog whenever you hear a dog:

Barking Like a Dog from Deb on Vimeo.

You love bananas:

Crazy Banana Baby from Deb on Vimeo.

You know body parts:

Anatomy Lesson from Deb on Vimeo.

The cats still aren't sure exactly what you are:

Phoebe from Deb on Vimeo.


Lucas from Deb on Vimeo.

I'm working on teaching you "please" and "thank you". If prompted, you will say "plah". You love putting your shoes on because that means you get to go outside. You even sit and try to put them on yourself. I can ask you to "go get the other one" of something and you'll look around and find it and bring it to me. You've discovered the animated show Curious George on PBS. I used it as a distraction technique when you were sick. You'd sit on my lap and say, "Geor, geor!" and point at the screen. That was how I was able to put your hair in pig tails. I have also been known to sit you on my lap, schooch down on the couch, turn on George and take a little doze. Just closing my eyes sometimes for a much needed refresher really helps.

Car rides are fairly stress free these days. You are content to sit and just look out the windows. I sometimes give you a toy to hold, but for the most part it just stays on your lap.

Wednesday morning I was reading you a book about a gosling that forgets to take a nap. You waved your hand and said, "bye!" It took me a second to realize that you heard "take a nap". When I put you down for a nap we have a routine. I open up the gate to the bedroom so Luke can get through. We say, "Good nap, Phoebe" to the already napping Phoebe on the media center, we say "Good nap, Luke" to the already napping Luke on the guest bed. We say, "Good nap, Sully" as he guards your door. All the while you are waving and saying, "Bye!"

Here is a series of pictures from March 16. I clearly misjudged the weather of the day. When I got you dressed it was 65 outside, but sunny. The previous day it was rather cold, so I put you in long sleeves and pants. I love this photo of you walking, you seem so determined!

So when we got outside it seemed a little hot. Your pants are too long, but I figured they'd be okay.

Before we left for our errand I changed your top. Much better. Pants are still okay, but the long sleeves had to go!

When we got back home from the errand and nap I was changing your diaper and decided that the green pants were just too long, so I grabbed the pink ones laying nearby. It took a whole day to come up with the perfect outfit.


March 17, 2009 - St. Patty's Day

March 19, 2009 - Waiting for Daddy to come home

March 20, 2009 - Playing in the back yard

Retrospective Perspective:

March 18, 2006 - Looking for a house to build!

March 22, 2007 - Back when Lucas ruled the roost

March 23, 2008 - Easter

I am sure I left somethings out, but I have to end this now. You are waking up from your nap (30 min early!) and we need to get ready to go take pictures in bluebonnet fields!

Happy Spring, Autumn!

Love,

Momma and Daddy

No comments: