Monday, May 26, 2008

The Traveler


Autumn and I flew up to visit my parents last Wednesday, May 21st. The flight is less than an hour, so it's not like we're flying cross country, but you can imagine my nervousness at traveling with a four month old. A fairly happy 4 month old, but a 4 month old nonetheless.

We had checked the flight status online at home before we left so we knew we were dealing with a 50 min delay. When we got to the airport and made it through security (no problems there!) and got to the gate at 7:30, they had just made the announcement that there would be a gate change and that it was delayed. Apparently since we had arrived late (on time for the delay) we had already missed 2 gate changes. This gate change was a terminal change, so a nice lady with what looked like a 5 day old little girl flagged Autumn and I down to get on the one of the carts and we rode to the other gate. I had no idea that these guys were supposed to be tipped, oh well! While we waited at that gate I tried to give her a bottle but she only took an ounce. The bathroom that was across the way was being cleaned so I had to wait to change her. When it opened another lady with a baby went into the one changing stall, so I went to get a snack. I thought we had plenty of time. But there was only one line open and 8 people in line. Once I got my crackers and left the store they were calling for people who need extra time. I figured since we were on the last row we should board and get out of peoples' way. We got settled but the flight was oversold so there was a bit of waiting. I kept thinking, "Just take off already!" And then she turned herself into SAAB Baby (Stiff as a Board Baby). She was upset. Nothing I was doing was correct and it was making her even more upset. And then she FELL ASLEEP! Just passed out. We were on the aisle so I kept waiting for someone to bump into us and wake her up but she slept until about 10 min before touchdown because her little ears were bothering her. Then she was REALLY UPSET. Once we stopped at the gate and I was able to get up with her she was fine. A few people told me she did really good, because she could have screamed THE ENTIRE WAY.

The night was not over at that point. The baggage carousel stopped working. This was after it spit out my two suitcases, but before the carrier came out. Yup, can't go anywhere without that carrier! And I had debated back and forth over whether to check the carrier or bring it with me to the gate. It seemed like the wrong move. We waited there about an hour for them to get it working again. Luckily, she was very happy to be with Gram and Grandpa. It was very late when we got back to their house and she went down around 12:30. And woke up at 1:30, 2:40 and 5:40. Ugh.

But the point is she made it up there. We both did. And it went so much better than I thought. And of course, it made my expectations for the return trip so high that I almost didn't want to get on the plane for fear it would scare me away from traveling the friendly skies with her ever again. But more on the return trip later...

No comments: